101 N. Marr Street
Construction on this fine old structure was completed in 1901. Building contractors were the Sago Brothers—a local firm who constructed several of the city’s finest historic buildings including the interior of the 1872 Courthouse at 107 E. Everett Street and the Carter House at the corner of Church Street and Thomasville Avenue (Highway 90).
The first occupant was the Pocahontas State Bank which was housed in the downstairs of the building until it moved to 114 E. Everett Street in 1924. The upstairs of the structure housed the offices of several local attorneys until the 1970s. In one such office, that of attorney George Steimel, the first electric light bulb in the City was turned on in 1919.
In 1924, the Randolph County Bank moved into the building where it remained until 1931. The bank failed in that year as did all banks in the County except the Bank of Biggers which moved to Pocahontas and became the Bank of Pocahontas which still exists today.
In the 1930s, the Randolph County Abstract Co. moved into the building where it remained until the 1960s. Since that time the building has housed a couple of downtown eateries. Today it’s the home of Computer Corner, repairs, website creation, and supplies.
The basement of the building, facing Broadway Street (Highway 90), housed the City’s first and only ‘head shop’ in the 1960s.